A lot of people ask why my writing is so depressing. I haven't had anything catastrophic happen to me and I'm not in a terrible living situation or anything like that. So why does my work take such a depressing side? I'm not emo 24/7, so why so dark?
Sometimes I ask this myself. I think because I write better when depressed. If you want a happy story, look around. Twilight and chick flicks are everywhere. Well, life isn't a romantic comedy. It's a broken and often repeated picture show. Most of the time, your life is just on a wheel, rotating and flickering in and out because of broken film.
So instead of smiling through the stupid nicety's, I write it out. I type until my eyes droop from the computer screen's glare and I feel like my fingers are numb. I write poetry when I'm really down or having somethings that's bothering me A LOT.
Short stories I whip up because I like to think about people in different situations. I think 'What would I do? What if I was different? What if this changed? How would I react?' and than before I know it, a character named Haley appears and finds out she's a home wrecker, or two people play the same game of breaking hearts, or someones best friend commits suicide.
And if you think about it... nothing really tragic happens in movies. Sure, the mom dies, but usually she's had a fulfilling life. The grandpa is gone, but had many years full of memories. Yeah, they died, but why is it that everyone already knows? The mom has terminal cancer. The grandpa has had previous strokes and is on his last rounds of meds. They die and everyone is sad, but gets through it.
What about all the teens who commit suicide? What about euthanasia? What about the lonely elderly? What about the parties where lives are changed? What of alcohol and drugs and abuse where lives are purposely destroyed?
Let's face it. Life doesn't end when the wedding bells sound or you get your "perfect kiss". After all, 1 time out of a 100, the nerd gets the jock. The quiet shy boy becomes outgoing for his "true love." The cheerleader dates a chess player, the rock star falls in love with a cellist.
It's unrealistic. Most of the time, you'll draw people in like you, or with enough personality traits to like yours to. Falling in love with your "opposite" seems to hardly ever work out without divorce papers and custody battles.
So yeah. What about Haley finding out her prom date is already married? What about the two heart breakers breaking each other's hearts and never repairing them together? What about the girl who's best friend commits suicide because he can't take living his live anymore?
Situations like these seem to hardly ever arise in movies. So I write them. I think of what I would do, what maybe I would do if my character was distorted a bit. What if I was a druggie? What if I was love struck with someone who hated me? What if I was a guy, how would my perception change?
Even little things change everything.
So yeah, I tend to be depressing. Maybe because I find it more real. People "in love" who write about it in poems and stories and such are just trying to fulfill a dream that doesn't come true. You can sing to the heavens about how great it is, but something always happens. Secrets are found, hearts are broken. And yeah, marriage is great and helps and love is amazing, but I don't find it realistic or relatable when people spout off poetry outside a window or write a song for someone. It makes for a good, fluffy and gushy read, but will it happen in real life?
No.
So excuse me for trying to write something new. Something I don't experience often with and the the world doesn't see everyday. Does it mean I'm suicidal?
NO.
Does it mean I'm realistic?
Yes.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I am more of "the glass is half full" kind of girl myself. :o)
Eh, just unrealistic for me. Sure, it's okay to be pulled away and read something happy, but I'd rather read something that makes me think and observe my own life than wish I had someone else's.
Post a Comment