
Tonight I had dinner at Brandon’s house, a Sunday dinner with most of his family. His sister Jessica, her husband Cody and their son Amman. His soon-to-be-engaged sister Tera and her soon-to-be-fiancĂ© Scott, his parents and of course, Brandon.
It reminded me of when we used to have Shawna and sometimes Christina come up for Sunday dinner. We’d have the traditional pot roast and Carissa would complain, Kayla and I would set the table and mom would be busy buzzing around the stove.
Maybe I’m recalling it better than it really was, but I realized that tonight, I missed when we used to do this. When Sunday was the family, eight or ten chairs around the table, four kids at the bar stools and one in the high chair or sleeping in the play pen. It made me miss seeing my nieces and nephews and being able to play with them and see how big they where getting.
Heck, I even miss The Sound of Music and Saturday’s Warriors. That’s how much I’m willing to have just one more pot roast Sunday. I miss Stacey having us try to guess “What movie?!” And then turning around to make herself look like she was making out with someone. How that’s The Sound of Music in that one action alone, I will never know.
I miss saying Cole is Jimmy from Saturday’s Warrior while singing that stupid song to him, all of us taking a different chorus. I even miss playing card games like nertz and speed. Heck, I’ll even say I miss playing that stupid golf card game that we all so badly sucked at. (Most of the time). I just miss my family, I miss being close with everyone and knowing how everyone is doing. Having smiles and laughter spring around the house and everyone trying to get a turn to talk. I miss the stupid fights of who sits where and who was the chillin’s favorite aunt.
It’s sad that we’re not so close, nobody really calls to see how anyone is doing and so on and so forth, but for tonight, I could pretend that Brandon’s family was mine, back when I was in Jr. High, when things were less complicated and the family was still close and important. When having mom burn the roast was funny and picking at the food before it was placed on the table and not being caught. (or being caught and being screwed)
Heck, I’ll even say I miss washing dishes and singing church songs and the Piano Man song as we took our duties of sweeping, clearing, washing, and putting away. I miss dancing around the house because we didn’t care and having Shawna be the best/worst dancer of all. (Sorry Shawna, dancing to Celine Deion in the 90’s was cool, dancing to Piano Man with moves from the 90’s… not so much…) :o)
I miss sitting and talking or just listening or watching Anika and Courtney run away from Isaac, who was so slow and unsteady that he was always two minutes too late following them around the entry level of the house. I miss playing hide and seek from the kids, scaring them and chasing them away. I miss going to bed early because all the cool and fun people left and we were so full, it didn’t matter anyway.
And yeah, I’m sure I’m forgetting the fights, the angry arguments that lead to leaving early and whatever else, but for tonight, I got to remember those amazing memories of having a family again.
I miss pot-roast Sunday's.



6 comments:
Oh my goodness Janaye, you brought tears to my eyes. I miss those Sundays too. I feel bad about complaining about roast so much-even though I really didn't like it and had to eat it every Sunday. Okay, sorry if that was a complaint. Those were fun days. I miss the family too.
You are so sweet Janaye! And btw I am and always will be an awesome dancer! You just wish you had the moves like me. lol Carissa's comment was too funny. I'm going to have to teach her to LOVE roast while she's out here. If she can eat all that Chinese junk she sure can learn to love a little pot roast. Love ya both!
Janaye that seriously made me cry! You have such a way with words! I wish I could write like you! I agre and I miss those sundays too!
You guys are all so funny! I loved those dinners too. I think I just might need to learn to cook a roast. I'll do it for Carissa. Also, I totally agree with everyone else, Janaye you are an AMAZING writer. I think that you should write a book. Seriously. You should. I love ya sister and I am going to call you today!!!
Hey! I totally just wrote you a comment and it dissapeared. Sorry if it shows up later. . . Anyway, cool post. I loved those dinners too. They were fun. Come out here and I will learn how to cook a roast just for you sista. I love you!
wow and who knew that me coming to Ogden and forcing you to come with me for dinner would end up such a big thing.... affect so many people... affect you in a way that would make you write this.... and you never did play nertz...
Post a Comment