Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Double Standard

So, as being a girl and being outside the normal “girl boundaries”, this is what I hate.

When I “Don’t Want To Get Married”: People always seem to give me weird looks when I say “I’m okay with being single forever” or even deny any want to get married at all. They try to convince me to that marriage is great, and most of the time, I play devil’s advocate and say, “Yeah, but I’m okay with being single for another five… ten or so years.” Yet, when a boy says he doesn’t want to get married for a long time, it’s okay.

When I “Hate Babies, Kittens, and the Color Pink”: Okay, so babies, I don’t hate. I love all your little chillen’s and think they’re way fun. Do I want any now? NO. So it annoys me when girls go koo-koo bananas for random babies. Then they sigh whistfully and say ‘Awh, they’re so cute. I can’t wait ‘till I get married and have one’

Obviously, these girls have never had a newborn in the house.
Yeah, kids are cute, but going goo goo for every kid, not so cool. Kittens, blah. They turn into cats soon enough and than just bite you. Pink: Gross. Neon, pastel, or anywhere in between. I hate it… unless it’s equalized out with black… and lots of it. Then it’s okay.

When I “Do Boyish Things”: Burping, not really caring about my hair, or even just knowing a little here and there about sports. Girls get astounded; guys get annoyed or just tune me out. Even listening to scremo makes me manlier, apparently. Most guys look at me crazy when we listen to the radio and hear a hardcore tune I know.

Dumb bums.

Other things I hate about being a girl:

When I “Express My Opinion”: When I do this, and actually either lash out at someone or tell someone off for being stupid, I get called many names. Mostly, a blanked out word. I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I can’t express my opinion (calmly or angrily) without being a *beep*. That’s just stupid. If a guy chews out another guy, he’s just giving advice or standing up for himself. When I do it, I’m just being hormonal, or a wi-atch. It makes me annoyed when I can’t tell people off for being annoyed when I’m called that stupid word.

When Guys Think They Know all About “That Time of the Month”: No, I’m sorry guys, but just because I lash out at you or cry randomly, it’s not “That Time of the Month”. Really, I HATE when guys think they know when a girl is on her period or whatever. Unless she tells you, she might just be having a really crappy day and not have let you know until now. Some girls are just the same they are every other day, including those days. So gentlemen, next time you “know”, you better dang well know or else Imma beat you.

When Girls Blame Their Actions on “That Time of the Month”: I’m sorry, but I rarely find this an excuse. Last Fourth of July when I watched over the guard for the Fourth of July parade, a lot weren’t cooperating and I had to get after them a bit. After that, I had three different girls out of nine give me the excuse that it was “That time of the month” for them and they were sorry. Okay, no. If you’re going to be a brat on those days, you’re going to be a brat every other day than too. If you tell me you’re not feeling well because of cramps or something, fine, I’ll give you an Advil. If you’re having mental issues, those are neither guard problems nor mine to deal with. Suck it up, ya pansy.

When I Show Other Emotions Besides “Happiness”: This might be just because most people don’t see my true anger and more of them don’t see me cry, but I hate how when I want to be sad, it’s almost like I’m not allowed to be. When I’m with friends or at an event, I try my best to forget what’s going on elsewhere and be happy around whoever I’m with. But some days, I just want and need to be sad. I don’t want to smile and cheer up and forget all about it. I want to wallow in self pity, danggit! Then, I hate how everyone else seems allowed to do so but me… that might be a personality thing, but still…

When I’m “Compared to the Other Majority of Girls”: I’m sorry I don’t wear pink and always spread sparkle and sunshine everywhere I go. But sometimes, I just have to be me and sometimes, you just have to accept that or move on.

When I’m Accused of “Being a Man Hater”: I’m not. I don’t think all men should submit to women and such, but I do wish we had more of an equal standing. I mean, let’s take a look into history, shall we? Let’s see when women starting making their mark in the United States: Oh, when women fought for the right to vote. Do we know when that was? In the 1920’s. The only other few women that made an impact before than where writers (only recognized as of CURRENTLY) such as Jane Austin. Besides her, the only other few I can name off the top of my head are Indians, such as Pocahontas and Sacajawea. I wish women could get equal pay as of men in the work force and such. I’m not saying all women should want to be working or even working moms, just to know if they wanted to, they could. I just wish women were seen as equals instead of just someone to “Make me a sandwich!”

The Wrap Up: I find being a girl hard. Sure, guys have a double standard too, I won't deny that, but I'm tired of feeling like I have their amount of double standard times ten against me. I'm tired of feeling inadequate and drained. Even around some people I've known for a long time, if I act out of "womanly character" I get weird looks and I'm judged. I'm so freakin' tired of it. I'm tired of this stupid sexism.

I could go on, but I won’t bore everyone with the stupid boringness of this rant, so I’ll end it here.

No comments: