Friday, July 23, 2010

Jesus and the Weeping Willows

JESUS AND THE WEEPING WILLOWS

A weeping willow, her vines hang low,
Placed in a cemetery, a beckon of woe.

She hears the new widow’s cries,
Of her husband who just died.
She listens to the old man,
Who must now tell his 42 year companion goodbye.

She hears the sob of the man,
Who just wanted to be called dad.
She picks up the whimper of a child
Who lost his mother in December.

‘Why’, she thinks, ‘Was I burdened as such a tree?
One who listens to cries and those to who God plea?

And just one night, when she wants to hang her head and sigh,
A warm voice whispers his silent prayer and cries.

A firm tone and a steady pace, his story begins.
He clears his throat, he shuffles his feet,
And now he sadly grins.

“Jesus, if you’re listening, will you take care of Kay?
The girl I married and showed me the way?
And now I’ll release her from my arms to yours,
If you promise we’ll have more years together in store.”

The man takes off his glasses and runs a hand through his gray hair,
The weeping willow now listening intently to his quiet and whispered prayer.
He shakes his head, and swallows tears,
And continues listing to a higher being his fears.

“I loved her a lot, and I was mad when you took her away,
And only now can I thank you today.
She was sick, and hurting, and I couldn’t take away the pain,
You did it for me, in one of the most hurtful ways.”

“Today she died from her cancer, a year ago,
Sometimes I wished it was me so I wouldn’t be so alone.
But today I thank you, for giving this great tree,
Her favorite where always those who reminded her of thee.
For she always pictured, while you were in Gethsemane,
You had a weeping willow with you while you prayed on bended knee.”

The man bows his head, and heaves a great sigh,
Then turns his face upward and towards the sky.

“So thank you lord, for this weeping willow tree,
To understand the hurt of those in their own Gethsemane.
So for cemeteries and for all those who die,
Thank you for giving us weeping willows to understand our cries.”

As the man walks away, the willow thinks about his speech,
How his words, did something to her teach.
So now when someone cries and starts asking why,
She hopes they remember that Jesus is by their side.

And if all she can do, is shelter their tears,
Than for them, she will forever them hear.

She will listen to their prayers and hear out their sorrows,
And continue giving hope for the always coming tomorrow.
Because even if they feel lost and distressed,
In Jesus, they will always find rest.

---
--
-
This started from my want to be burried under a weeping willow tree... and it turned out to be a lot more. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Carissa and Jeff said...

I love this poem! You incorporated the weeping willow into the poem seamlessly and I loved the imagery. To me, it's so comforting knowing that we don't have to be alone EVER. I remember years ago when I was going through a rough patch, and I just wanted someone to hold me while I cried... but there was no one. So I prayed for Heaven's arms every night to hold me. And amazingly enough, I can't really describe it, but they did.

Kayla and Greg said...

You wrote this?!? It is seriously amazing!! You are so talented and I am jealous! It was beautiful and made me cry! You are seriously amazing!!!